Wednesday, October 6, 2010

What was that?

Man, I have been on an absolute tear lately, getting this house ship shape. Having had two babies in less than two years, things have gotten a little chaotic around here. It was visually overwhelming and gave me a sense of claustrophobia. Now that baby girl is a few months old, I have started to feel a need to shed more than just the postpartum pounds. Things have been flying out of here left and right.  And while there are big projects we would love to tackle, finances (two babies in two years) prohibit.

However, there have been little things we've been able to do that have made a big difference around here. We inherited a very brown family room, and had to move our brown couch in there.  So, I have been trying to imbue color and make it somehow warmer.  I plan to paint, paint, paint, I promise.  But, somehow in three years we haven't been able to get to it.

Well, how about a couple of these for some added color?


I love, love, love some of the fabrics in these pillows...










Ah, Missouri, where it all began...
Last year my mom and I were able to go to the Country Living Festival.  So much fun.  While there, I found this lovely pillow.  I bought Missouri and Alabama.  They make me smile every time I see them.  I love quilts for a couple of reasons.  For one thing I am a sucker for patterns.  And for another, I am a sucker for history.  Quilts have tons of both.  They exude comfort and warmth, what more could I want for our family room.  So this year, at the CL Fair, I headed straight for that booth, intent on buying more pillows.  But, then while I was looking at them, and their price tags, I thought, I could totally do this myself. (Something I say to myself a lot at places like that.) Well, low and behold at another favorite booth, what should be there but the top of an old quilt.  The fabrics were so reminiscent of my grandparents era.  They were in mostly good condition too, and the fact that it was already detached from the rest of itself was perfect since that way I wouldn't feel so guilty cutting it up. I think they add the perfect touch of color and comfort to our antique daybed, which admittedly was not the most comfortable seat in the house. 

So what's next?  Remember the old door I had my hubby drag out of the trash?  Well, upon closer inspection, it may have been a window.  It's an odd size so I am not sure what it was, but I still love the look of it.  This weekend I removed a portion of the screen, leaving 2/3 of it in place because I like the look of it.  Here's a before pic. See any potential? Yesterday I placed it on the wall over the couch.  I'm living with it, playing around with it and seeing what strikes my fancy.  But, I will give you a peek at it on the wall so you can believe that it belongs up there and not back in the trash heap...

No comments: